Memorial monument erected
This article is translated from Norðlýsið 15.08.13 with the permission of Oliver Joensen.
People were invited to a memorial ceremony on Skarð yesterday, where a memorial monument by Hans Pauli Olsen was erected. The memorial monument was erected in honour of Skarðsbátinum (The Boat of Skarð), which went down 100 years ago on December 23rd.
The consequences of the tragedy was directly involved in the village falling to ruins. In 1919 the last nine people left Skarð, amongst them was a 90-year-old woman, who was carried down to the boats landing place.
Some people walked from Harhaldssund around the island. Others walked from Kunoy following the old village route, up through Skordal and the easier yet longer route up passed Lítla Fjall.
Amongst the people were several descendants from across the country. One of them was Kaj Dam, who had decided to walk the route from his great-grandfather Johan Dam’s house in Kunoy, who went down with Kunoyarbátinum (The Boat of Kunoy), leaving 8 children behind – through the pass and down again to his other great-grandfather Jákup Petur Petersen’s house, who went down with Skarðsbátinum (The Boat of Skarð) leaving 3 children behind in 1913.
Walking this route, you felt the toughness of the environment and the lives they lived. The route was under no circumstances convenient nor comfortable and took over two hours to walk.
On the other site of the pass, people gathered towards the ruins of Skarð, where many people were gathered – well above 500 people.
Jákup Jacobsen made a brief explanation from the event around the memorial monument. The Bishop had a speech on peace. Jóan Pauli Joensen reflected about the time and space around the accident in 1913. Óluva Klettskarð had simular speech and how the village was on the verge of prosper, recently buying their big boat. The Mayor of Kunoy, Maiken S. Michealsen accepted a document from Andras Jacobsen, on behalf of The Monument Memorial Committee to have the monument under custody.
Páll Klettskarð revealed the monument, made by Hans Pauli Olsen. Between the speeches various songs where arranged. Kári Klettskarð í Kongsstovu, member of The Monument Memorial Committee, invited everyone back to the village hall for supper, songs and more reflections.
Boats sailed 500 people back home. Others walked back home around the island, being the first time in many years that so many people have been at Skarð – maybe the first time ever.
Overall it was an amazing day, experiencing the past, both in a more tangible way, walking the old routes as well as the historical reflections.